LEAD THE FIELD: Graduate Studies in Data Science
UC San Diego is a leader in educating the next generation of professionals in vital data-driven fields – from engineering to computer science to medicine. The advantages of advanced studies in data science through the Halıcıoğlu Data Science Institute (HDSI) include:
- Small class size, aiding network building with other professionals
- Program geared toward working professionals
- Active industry partnerships that address real-world problems
- Team-oriented capstone design project provides hands-on learning and career-ready portfolio
- Graduates emerge as technical leaders prepared for technology challenges of the future
The Data Science Degree Advantage
Data scientists unlock new sources of economic value, provide fresh insights into science, and inform decision makers by their ability to analyze large and complex data sets including diverse, longitudinal, and distributed data generated from instruments, sensors, Internet transactions, email, video and other digital sources. The growing HDSI-led program currently offers two graduate-level education tracks:
- Specialization in Machine Learning and Data Science, through the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department. More information here.
- Data Science and Engineering professional master’s program (Master of Advanced Study) by Jacobs School of Engineering, UC San Diego. More information here.
Currently we do not have a MS or PhD program in Data Science. The university’s Data Science masters and doctoral students are drawn from other disciplines including Math, Computer Science and Electrical Engineering.
Investment in the Future
HDSI-related graduate studies in data science lets professionals combine the skills of software programmer, database manager, and statistician to create mathematical models of the data, identify trends, and then present them in effective visual ways that can be understood by others. As a career, Data Science is increasingly vital:
- The demand for data scientists and data engineers is expected to grow 39% by 2020, according to a recent study from IBM, when the number of annual job openings for data professionals reaches 2.72 million
- Data scientist is ranked among the 50 Best Jobs in America for the second consecutive year in 2017 by Glassdoor employment website. The top five spots on the survey include data engineer and analytics manager
Next Steps for a Graduate Degree in Data-Science Related Fields
Simply mark your preference on your UC San Diego graduate application by clicking YES to the following question:
- “Are you interested in pursuing graduate work in a Data Science-related subject?”
- Clicking the YES option pushes your application to HDSI faculty for consideration as a graduate student
More about Data Science and Engineering Graduate Studies:
Students pursuing degrees in Data Science and Engineering will study programming, analysis, and applications management and visualization. This program requires: 3 foundational courses, 4 core courses and 2 electives. All students produce a capstone team project course of 4 units. Learn more.