Advising hours are open to all students, regardless of declared major. There are two options students have when choosing to meet with the advisor: a 30 minute scheduled appointment, or a 10-15 minute drop in advising session.
Scheduled appointments are intended to support students who are: interested in discussing their interest in declaring the major or the minor, seeking course advisement based on their academic history, examining challenges and identifying available support services, reviewing minor applications and double major petitions, and creating long-term plans.
If you need to cancel your appointment, we request that you notify the department at least 24 hours in advance.
To schedule an appointment:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 858-534-0198.
- Provide the date and time of your request
- Include your PID and reason for your appointment
Tuesday: 1:00 pm- 3:30 pm
Thursday: 9:00 am- 12:00 pm
Drop-in advising hours are designed to be only 10-15 minutes in length. These sessions are for 1-2 quick questions that can quickly be addressed. Drop-in advising is given on a first come, first served basis; there is no guarantee that you will see the advisor during these advising hours. The last student will be seen 15 minutes before the end of the advising hours available that day. We do not offer long term planning during drop-in advising hours.
Drop in Hours (Resuming 9/30)
Monday: 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm
Friday: 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
The Virtual Advising Center (VAC):
All UC San Diego students are strongly encouraged to connect with the department through their Virtual Advising Center. If you come in for an appointment or a drop-in advising session, please refer to your VAC for a summary of your meeting and access any discussed links. Please be advised that we do not provide long term plan advisement through the VAC as this involves a much more thorough discussion.
Students not currently attending UC San Diego are able to contact the department with questions at email@example.com. If you are a current student, you may use this email address to schedule an appointment, but please be advised that all current students should utilize for VAC for any academics advising questions. Additionally, we use this email to contact students about internship and research opportunities along with program announcements, so make sure the email is set up filter into your inbox and not your junk or spam!
If you have sent us a message through either the VAC or the email, do not send us an additional message through the other online option. We will answer all inquiries within 24-48 hours. We will not address multiple messages.
Appointment Advising Hours:
- Tuesday: 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm
- Thursday: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Drop-in Advising Hours:
- Monday: 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm
- Friday: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Atkinson Hall, Second Floor, Room 2010
*Atkinson Hall is also referred to as CAL IT II.
Take the elevator to the second floor and turn left. Follow the signs for the Data Science Undergraduate Program. Upon your arrival, please immediately check in with the Intake Advisor in Room 2010.
- Take I-5 Freeway and exit La Jolla Village Drive heading west: From I-5 North, it is a right turn; From I-5 South, it is a left turn.
- Turn right at the first light onto Villa La Jolla Drive.
- Turn right at the second light onto Gilman Drive.
- Turn left at the stop sign onto Voigt Drive.
- At the intersection past Canyonview Pool, turn right. You will still be on Voigt Drive.
- Continue on Voigt Drive and our building will be on the left at the corner of Engineers Lane and Voigt Drive. Please drop off passengers at pull-out on Voigt drive. If you have “B” permit, parking is available in lot P502. If you do not have a permit, parking is available on the hill, or at the top of the hill in Hopkins Parking Structure.
In order to provide the tools and resources needed to achieve academic, professional, and personal development goals, the Data Science program has a committed staff available to support students and their needs. At this time, our staff includes the following individuals:
Program Coordinator/Undergraduate Advisor